***UPDATED MONDAY, JUNE 15, 2020***
It is Monday, June 15, and if not for the COVID-19 novel coronavirus pandemic, this past Saturday, June 13 would have been 820 Squadron's 48th Annual Ceremonial Review. Tonight would have also marked the last function of the 2019-20 Training Year, with our Annual Training Awards Night presentations to all cadets whom had successfully completed their training this year and achieved excellence in their respective proficiency levels. We aim to make up for this in the 2020-21 Training Year once we are permitted to return to in-person cadet activities, and we will update accordingly both here and the squadron Facebook page. In the meantime, we would like to take this opportunity to recognize the cadets whom became qualified and were recommended for promotion to Leading Air Cadet during the stand-down. All promotions were backdated where appropriate to ensure proper seniority and eligibility for promotion consideration in the Fall and beyond. Please find the link HERE to see the names of the successful cadets. CONGRATULATIONS to our newly-promoted LACs!
*UPDATED WEDNESDAY, APRIL 15, 2020*
In the interest of safety for all cadets, staff, and community members Canada-wide, within the spirit of leadership and good citizenship, the 2019-20 Training Year has now been effectively ended with the CANCELLATION of ALL in-person cadet activities -- including summer scholarships and training courses -- until 31 August 2020, as outlined below:
Sent on behalf of Brigadier-General D.B. Cochrane, Commander, National Cadet and Junior Canadian Ranger Support Group
SPRING AND SUMMER 2020 ACTIVITIES CANCELLATION
Refs: A. CATO 14-06, Training or Recreational and Educational Trips
- CANFORGEN 039/20
- 3350-Op LASER 20-01
- CANCDTGEN 008/20
- CANCDTGEN 010/20
- CANCDTGEN 011/20
- CANCDTGEN 012/20
- CANCDTGEN 14/20
- In addition to direction delivered at refs D to H, Comd Natl CJCR Sp Gp has made the decision to cancel all in-person activities related to the Cadet and JCR programs through to 31 Aug 20. This includes, but is not limited to local training, corps and squadron trips, cadet summer training and activities, in-person training for Cadet Instructors Cadre officers, and, in coordination with the Canadian Army, the JCR enhanced training sessions.
- Cadets and Junior Canadian Rangers will not be penalized for missing the remainder of the 2019-2020 training year, and will be credited as having this year’s training completed.
- Our goal over the coming months is to focus and remain connected with the cadets. Staff at the corps/squadron level will be seeking, where possible, innovative and meaningful ways to connect with cadets virtually. We will seek to explore options for new experiences online and looking for alternatives to in-person training activities. Maintaining the link with our cadets and staff is a priority.
- For the summer, the Natl CJCR Sp Gp staff will begin planning to explore innovative ways to take advantage of this pause in training to implement new and exciting solutions for our program. You can expect to hear more about this in the weeks to come as we will be looking at options for alternative employment opportunities.
- The decision to cancel activities ensures the safety and security of everyone who participates in our programs and will ensure that the Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers, like the Canadian Armed Forces, do not become a vector to spread COVID-19. It will also ensure that valuable resources, from medical support to facilities, can be made available to the CAF to assist Canadians when they need it the most.
- This was not an easy decision, nor was it made in isolation. The Command Team of the National Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers Support Group have consulted with many advisors and stakeholders, and have been closely monitoring the actions of like-minded youth organizations.
- We understand many will be disappointed with this news. However, the strength and resilience of the men and women who not only support and lead this program, but also participate in it will prevail. This is our role to play in demonstrating leadership and citizenship in the face of adversity. Canada’s Cadets and Junior Canadian Rangers are all up for the challenge.
- The Natl CJCR Sp Gp continues to collaborate with the Department of National Defence and CAF as well as with other federal departments in order to maintain proper situational awareness on the COVID-19 situation in Canada and globally to synchronize interdepartmental response under the lead of Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada. As a result, the situation is continuously being monitored and further decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- Additional details related to the impact of this decision and way forward will be communicated to all in the weeks ahead.
- All available and updated information for the Natl CJCR Sp Gp response to COVID-19 can be found on the CCO net at: http://collaboration.cco.nat/sites/NAT/SitePages/covid19.aspx, DWAN: https://collab.cadets.gc.ca/sites/NAT/SitePages/covid19.aspx
END OF ENGLISH TEXT
We at 820 Squadron are of course saddened to learn of this news, because we know how hard all of our cadets, staff, and sponsoring committee had worked this training year -- especially our cadets that earned summer scholarships and other specialty courses -- but it is understood that safety is always the top priority of the Canadian Cadet Organizations. Moving forward over the next several months, we will continue to communicate with and update all current squadron members, both here and in the closed Facebook group. Cadets are encouraged to reach out to their respective Proficiency Level Officers (contact emails can be found here), and general enquiries can still be sent to email@example.com. This is understandably a difficult time for everyone, so if parents have any questions or concerns that are not addressed above, they are invited to contact the Commanding Officer directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Financial questions can be directed to the Squadron Sponsoring Committee at email@example.com. Thank you for your continued cooperation and perseverance during this challenging time.
*UPDATED SATURDAY, APRIL 11, 2020*
CADETS, IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL FROM YOUR TRAINING STAFF, PLEASE CLICK THE LINK BELOW AND FILL OUT THE VERY SHORT 2-MINUTE SURVEY. IT WILL ASSIST US IN PLANNING FUTURE FIELD TRAINING EXERCISES (FTX). RESPONSES DUE NO LATER THAN MONDAY, APRIL 13. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, AND PLEASE ENJOY THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND. STAY SAFE!
*UPDATED FRIDAY, APRIL 10, 2020*
CADETS, PLEASE LOOK FOR AN EMAIL FROM YOUR TRAINING STAFF THIS WEEKEND.
*UPDATED THURSDAY, APRIL 2, 2020*
A Letter to All Parents and Cadets ~ From Lieutenant Colonel Barry Leonard, Commanding Officer of Regional Cadet Support Unit (Central)
*UPDATED FRIDAY, MARCH 27, 2020*
ALL cadet activities remain CANCELLED until 30 April 2020 as outlined below:
We will update both here and in the closed Facebook group as necessary, if and when we are notified of any changes. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during this challenging time.
NEXT PARADE NIGHT
Date: Monday, , 2020
Time: 1830hrs-2130hrs (6:30pm-9:30pm)
For further details, please review our Weekly Routine Orders (WROs). If you have any questions not answered by our FAQs, WROs, or the Google calendar, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.